Monday, August 3, 2015
I was getting ready to crack a carefully measured Pale grist and...
Well, I don't really know what happened but I looked and saw the heart of my beer on the floor.
I have to admit I wasn't really perturbed by this. I mean the grain is a bit 'dirty' anyway being malted on an open floor at a malt house somewhere.
So I swept it up and weighed the total to see how much I lost.
As it turns out, I lost only about 1.6 ounces of the total.
I added a pinch of this and a pinch of that and made up the loss.
The variance from the recipe percentages will be negligible.
I made beer twice this weekend and my fermentation vault door will only shut when a large 6.5 gallon carboy and a 6 gallon carboy are inside.
I prepared a starter for the Amber I made on Saturday and used about 2/3 of it for the beer.
This left about12 ounces of good California Ale yeast (combined with a bit of saved Amber wort) to be started for the Pale I made on Sunday.
The beer started well and I can't wait to see if scraping spilled grain off of my garage floor will become a great tasting Pale Ale.
I pledge to be honest with the results.
Good Beer To You.